12/9/09

portion control


I was just thinking that I could use a snack. I'm thinking Fig Newtons, peanut butter & crackers or maybe a Twix bar. I go to the pantry, nothing, not even an old stale Fig Newton. I stand there looking in the cabinet trying to decide what to do, then remember that my wife keeps a few snacks so I go rumaging around in her stuff. JACKPOT, I see a Kit-Kat bar in the back. I pull it out but it's not right, it's some little toy bar, on the pack it says "snack size". Well, I wanted a snack so we'll give it a shot. I go sit down in my recliner with my "snack" and as I unwrap it, I realize a new dilemma I have. How are you suppose to eat this, 1 nice big bite or 2 small half bites? Do I want the full effect all at once or make it last?

Well, I went for the 1 big bite and back to the pantry for something else. I found a Snicker bar, I don't much care for Snickers but this one says "Fun Size". I hate to tell you but there aint nothing fun about it. It's not even a candy bar, it's a piece of candy, somebody is just trying to confuse me. Fun size my butt, let's look for something else. I scratch around and come up with a tiny little bag of Chips-Ahoy cookies. By this time I'm a bit sceptical, figure there's about 1.5 cookies in the bag. To my suprise when I opened it, there were 5 whole cookies in the bag, yep, that's right 5. My excitement was short lived, they were the size of a dime, make that freaking Kit-Kat bar look like dessert for 2.

Finally came up with a Zinger, you know a fancy Twinky and it happened to be my favorite flavor. Raspberry (who the hell decided rasberry needed a 'p'?) icing with coconut, aint had one of those in years, but you guessed it. Somehow it had been miniturized too, looked like a fuzzy dead caterpiller in life size.

Along those same lines are the 100 calorie packs, what's up with that? If I had my Fig Newtons to start with, I wasn't going to eat the whole pack. Now I hear that Coke is coming out with regular Coke (not diet), in a 100 calorie can (I think in beer-drinking terms, it's called a pony), how many people drink the whole 2 liter bottle as soon as they open it? I buy a half case of beer I don't think I have to drink the whole thing a once.

To heck with this, I'm going to Taco Bell and get a "Grilled-Stuffed-Burrito" with real sour cream, that's what you call "fun sized".

3 comments:

Kaja said...

Don't eat Taco Bell! I worked their for a little while... trust me.

Bob Russell said...

i don't want to know, i like it and let's leave it at that.

Walk Talk Tours said...

The problem posed by the snack size Kit Kat is universal the world over. One bite or two?