12/18/09

$1.75 trillion


I was just thinking, do you know how much 1.75 trillion dollars is? I aint got a clue. From my point of veiw, there's no way I could spend that much money even if I had help. That's how much the federal budget deficit is. The government has spent 1.75 trillion more dollars than they've taken in. Read it again   $1,750,000,000,000   HOLY CRAP!!!   Let's break that down into figures a redneck can understand: if the population of the U.S. is 305 million (305,000,000) and the deficit is 1.75 trillion (175 & butt-load of zeros), that figures to be $5,737,705 per person. You got that? Over 5.5 million dollars a person. Do they expect me to pay my share? Damn, I hope not. I have enough trouble paying off a truck, that's about 145 trucks at $40,000 each.

"In the first year of Barack Obama's presidency, the deficit is expected to reach $1.75 trillion. President Obama does not intend to balance the budget during his term but does plan to lower the deficit to $533 billion by the year 2013." He didn't start all this but he needs to be looking at one of those morgage companies he bailed out for a 30 year loan.

I think the problem is that when Congress says they're going to pass a balanced budget, they don't have a clue what that means. I aint no finacial advisor but I know what happens if you write checks for more than what you got in the bank. If the money aint there, you can't spend it. I get charged 35 bucks if I bounce a check, start taking it outta congress's pay checks and they'd figure that crap out. If you can't make it balance, you don't get paid and you don't get no freaking xmas break either.

"The Balanced Budget Amendment is any one of various proposed amendments to the United States Constitution which would require a balance in the projected revenues and expenditures of the United States government. Most such proposals contain a supermajority exception allowed for times of war or national emergency." (quoted from Wikipedia)
It says "proposed amendments", that means it's not a law that they have to balance the budget. Hell no it aint a law, it's common damn sense. I guess it was a national emergency to bail out the car companies but who the hell is gonna bail out the government. I say let'em file chapter 11, sell off what they got and give me my share. But wait a minute, they/we own a butt-load of GM stock and it's worth about 55 cents a share, guess my share aint what I thought it'd be. (same dudes that invested in GM got us the 1.75 trillion dollar deficit)


Near as I can figure, this guy (John Maynard Keynes) back in the 1930s came up with the idea that it was OK for the government to spend more than it took in because of the Keynesian theory (named after him). Well, here's his theory: Because of the multiplier effect, it is possible to change aggregate demand (Y) keeping a balanced budget. The Government increases its expenditures (G), balancing it by an increase in taxes (T). Since only part of the money taken away from households would have actually been used in the economy, the change in consumption expenditure will be smaller than the change in taxes. Therefore the money which would have been saved by households is instead injected into the economy, itself becoming part of the multiplier process. In general, a change in the balanced budget will change aggregate demand by an amount equal to the change in spending. I got a word for his theory   BULLS**T   . It might have worked during the great depession but Nixon took it and ran with it in 1969 and it's been pretty much downhill ever since. There has been a budget surplus a couple of times since then but beats me what they did with them, should'a put it in the bank for hard times. (same dumb asses would have put it in Washington Mutual which failed this year)

I say if you aint got it, don't spend it. Yep, that means the war in Iraq is over, everybody come home. Same for the war in Afganistan. 4 day work weeks for all government employees. No more $800 hammers. Nobody goes to the Moon or Mars until we get this crap fixed. Hell, I got to make cut backs due to hard times, everybody else should too.

How do you spend 1.75 trillion dollars more that you got? And they're worried about Joe Blow making $15/hour that can't make his payment on a house he shouldn't bought in the first place. Makes my head hurt......

No comments: