11/23/09

who says i can't get stoned?


I was just thinking as I was driving home last night about my next blog. The radio was on and the AT-40 (top 40) was going. They started to play a newer song by John Mayer that I had heard a couple of times, fair song, I'm not a big John Mayer fan but it's all right. It started out "Who says I can't get ______?", what happened, did my ears blink? I listened again and the same thing, "Who says I can't get ______?". They had taken out the word "stoned" through the whole song. What the hell is up with that? They think some one would be offended? They have the show with that Nudge guy on every night, if he aint offensive, I don't know what is. They think just because some one heard the song, they'd go out and get stoned? If I was going to (I'm not, by the way), I'd listen to some CCR or something like that, not John Mayer, that's for sure. Are parents worried that if they're kids here stuff like that, they'll do it? I hate to tell you, but if your kids will do whatever some one on the radio sings about, you got bigger problems. Should'a whipped them more if that's all it takes to get out of line.

Good grief, I mean the first time I heard the Dixie Chics "Goodbye Earl" I went out and killed somebody. And what about Garth Brooks, I been waiting to catch by wife cheating just so I could drive a truck through the house like he said in "Poppa Loves Mamma". What about the old (not that old) song by Eric Clapton, first time I heard "Cocaine" I went out and "did a couple of lines" (if that's what you call it). Peter, Paul & Mary's "Puff the Magic Dragon" would really had me screwed up if I thought the radio was more than just something to listen to.

Everybody needs to get real and get over it. I mean if I could grow up in the 70s listening to Disco and not be any more messed up that I am, everyone else should chill the hell out.

No comments: