9/2/10

junk mail

Crap-mail just irritates the puke outta me. I don't know why it bothers me so much, maybe I'm a little OCD (or anal if you don't know what OCD is) but it does. It could be because I don't like to waste my time going through my mail, deciding what's junk and what's not, I could be doing something else, even taking a nap would be more productive. It could be because I pay to have my trash picked up, so I'm paying to get rid of something I didn't want in the first place. It could be because it's a big freaking waste. I'm not gonna sign up for the credit card but the credit company can spend 44 cents on postage and I'm guessing 50 cents or so for the paper, envelope and labor. That's a dollar by my estimate, I can't imagine them getting more than one or two people signed up for every hundred they send out. That's 100 bucks more or less to get one customer (maybe two customers but I figure the way things are today, one of them will never pay off his card anyhow). If they can afford to do all that, they're making too much money to start with. Advertise a cheap rate and I might sign up for a card, other than that, leave me the hell alone.

Back awhile ago, I heard about a guy who'd save all the return envelopes he got in junk mail. Then he'd wrap up a brick, stick the envelope to it and send it back to them. If he had an old pair of shoes to throw out, he'd stick'em in a shoe box, slap a return envelope on it and send it off. Sounded like a cool idea to me but too much effort. I got a better idea plus since the Post Office is going broke due to the lack of volume, it'll help them out too.

Save up all your junk mail for a week or two. Then one night when you're bored or had a bad day at work, go through all of it and remove any personal info from it and pull out all the postage-paid return envelopes. Take the envelopes and stuff them full of all the paper/crap left over. Take the Best Buy flyer and send it to the Bank of America. Take the Pay Day Loan ad and send it to Wells Fargo. If you don't have enough to fill them all up, empty out the cat's litter box or something. Then take the whole pile to a post office box and drop it off.

You'll feel better, knowing you helped out a postal worker and you sent all that crap back to the folks that sent it to you in the first place. Evidently they have plenty of money and time, they can deal with it or they could just stop sending all that crap to you.

No comments: